Dental Clinic in West Mississauga, Clarkson & Oakville
2425 Truscott Drive, Unit 17 (the Park Royal Plaza) in Mississauga, Clarkson, L5J 2B4
Dental Crowns and Bridges
A dental crown is a covering that sits over the top of the tooth creating a tooth surface to protect, cover, seal and strengthen your tooth. Crowns are used in many different scenarios as they are effective and often allow us to save a tooth rather than turning to implants.
Situations where a crown may be the solution include;
- – Larger fillings that have broken down or have formed decay around them may need a crown to save the tooth.
- – A cracked tooth may need a crown to hold it together. Be careful not to wait too long as an untreated cracked tooth can become sensitive or eventually break.
- – Teeth that are very sensitive, either from a lot of ‘wear’, or from receded gums, sometimes require crowns to seal and protect the teeth from hot and cold sensitivity.
- – A tooth that has broken may be too weak to hold a filling. A crown will hold the tooth together and prevent it from breaking again.
- – A tooth that has undergone Root Canal Therapy should be crowned to properly seal and protect the tooth for the long term.
Dental crowns are often a component of your complete dental procedure. If a crown is being used as part of your dental procedure, we will explain its use, placement and care ahead of time. Please feel free to ask us about crowns and their uses during your next visit.